From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Jim Flusche
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 6:03 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Pinning and unpinning items from the taskbar in W-10.

Pinning and unpinning items from the taskbar in W-10.
OK, first of all, What Items are pinned to my Taskbar?
Second of all, What are the order of the pinned items on my Taskbar?
Third of all, Why does the pinned order of items on the Taskbar matter?
Fourth of all, How do I unpin items from the Taskbar?
Fifth of all, How do I pin items to the Taskbar?
**What Items are pinned to my Taskbar?
After pressing Windows key+T, and pressing the Right arrow key, I will hear
the following Items.
Task bar Internet Explorer Button
Word 2016 Button
Notepad - 1 running window button menu
Outlook 2016 Button
Control Panel Button
Windows Defender Security Center Button
iTunes Button
JAWS 18 Button
**What are the order of the pinned items on my Taskbar?
1. Internet Explorer
2. Word 2016
3. Notepad
4. Outlook 2016
5. Control Panel
6. Windows Defender Security Center
7. iTunes
8. JAWS 18
**Why does the pinned order of items on the Taskbar matter?
Because, depending on the order of the pinned items to the Taskbar, this
will determine the shortcut key that will start that program on your
computer.
*For example:
on my computer pressing the windows key followed by a number on the numbers
row, will start the following program or open the item pinned to the
Taskbar.
Pressing Windows key+1, will open Internet Explorer.
Pressing Windows key+2, will open Word 2016.
Pressing Windows key+3, will open an untitled Notepad file.
Pressing Windows key+4, will open Outlook 2016.
Pressing Windows key+5, will open the control panel.
Pressing Windows key+6, will open Windows Defender Security Center.
Pressing Windows key+7, will open iTunes.
Pressing Windows key+8, will always start Jaws 18.
*Tip, if you have more than one of these windows open.
Pressing their windows key+number, will take you to that program.
*For example:
If you are in the Internet Explorer window, and you wish to go back to your
open notepad file, just press Windows key+3, on my computer.
If you wish to start a new notepad file, Press Windows+shift+3, this will
open a blank notepad file.
So as you can see this is a quick and fast way, to start your favorites
programs on your W-10 computer including Jaws.
**How do I unpin items from the Taskbar?
As you are busy customizing your new W-10 computer, you should clear the
pinned items off your Taskbar.
This way you can start from scratch, pinning your pinned items to the
Taskbar in your own order.
*Press Windows key+T, you land on the first item pinned to your Taskbar.
Press the Applications key, up arrow to, unpin from Taskbar, press Enter.
Press Windows key+m or D, go to your desktop.
Press Windows key+T, returns you to the Taskbar, repeat the above directions
until the Taskbar is empty.
Keep repeating these steps, until all the current items are unpinned from
your Taskbar.
**How do I pin items to the Taskbar?
OK, let us start with pinning Jaws to the Taskbar.
Press the Windows key, followed by the down arrow key, you will land in the
All Apps list box.
Press the letter J, you will land on JAWS 18.0 folder, Collapsed.
Press the Enter key to expand Jaws 18.
Highlight Jaws 18.
Press the Applications key, down arrow to, more sub menu, Right arrow to pin
to taskbar, press Enter.
You now have Jaws 18 pinned to the Taskbar.
*Tip, remember if you have more than one version of Jaws installed on your
computer, do the following.
After pressing Windows key, and pressing the down arrow, and pressing the
letter J, you will land on the oldest version of Jaws first.
So just repeat the above steps for pinning all the versions of Jaws to the
Taskbar, that are installed on your computer.
I always use this method for starting Jaws on my computer, instead of the
old way of pressing Control+ALT+J, to start Jaws.
So because Jaws 18 is the eighth item pinned to the Taskbar, pressing
Windows key+8, always starts Jaws 18 on my computer.
*How to find items like Internet explorer or notepad, to pin to my Taskbar?
Press Windows key, followed by the Down arrow, this lands you in, All Apps
list box.
Press the letter W, down arrow to, Windows Accessories folder, Collapsed,
press the Enter key to expand.
Highlight either Internet explorer or notepad.
Press the Applications key, Arrow down to, more sub menu, Right arrow to,
pin to Taskbar, press Enter.
Now you have pinned either Internet explorer or Notepad to your Taskbar.
*How to find the Control panel, to pin it to the Taskbar?
Press the Windows key, followed by the Down arrow to open the All Apps list
box.
Press the letter W, Down arrow to, Windows System folder, Collapsed, press
Enter key to expand.
Down arrow and highlight Control panel.
Press the Applications key, Arrow down to more sub menu, Right arrow to pin
to Taskbar, press Enter.
Now you have pinned the Control panel to the Taskbar.
*Other examples:
1. Press the Windows key, or Enter on the Start button.
2. Either press the up or down arrow or Tab two times to All apps list box,.
3. Use first letter navigation, or just Down arrow through all the programs
on your computer, Highlight the program that you want to pin to the Taskbar.
4. Press the Application key, on any program, arrow down to, more sub menu,
right arrow to, pin to Taskbar, press enter.
Now your Program, has been pinned to the Taskbar.
5. If a group is collapsed, press enter key to expand, this is a toggle,
pressing enter Opens and closes a program group.
**For example, while in the All Apps list box.
1. Press the letter O, for apps or programs starting with O.
2. Arrow down and highlight Outlook 2016.
3. Press the Application key, Down arrow to the more sub menu, right arrow
one time to, pin to Taskbar, press enter.
Now, you have pinned Outlook 2016, to the Taskbar in W-10.
I mainly did this short lesson, to encourage all users of Jaws, to pin Jaws
to the Taskbar.
This is a more consistent way, to start Jaws 18 or whatever version you are
using in W-10.
I just press Windows key+8, to start Jaws 18, works every time.
This is also a great way, to switch between open windows of the programs
that are pinned to the Taskbar.
Just press their start keystroke, to go quickly back to that program.
For example:
If I am in Internet Explorer, just press Windows key+3, to quickly jump to
Notepad, on my computer.

Your humble Pinhead!
Owner of the Windows 10 and Jaws group!