Greetings to all,

I face a lot of dicciulty recently, when I work on a document, (writing it
or reading it in Braille) when I want to insert a footnote. Using Windows 10
creator, Jaws 18, Word 2007 and an Active Braille display. In the past I was
able to create a footnote by using contrl-alt-f. The note would appear and I
could type my text viewing it. When I was done, by arroing once to the
right, I was able to go back to my document, see the note's number and
continue typing my document. When reading notes, I always used to hit a
cursor routing button just above the number, and a sort of preview would and
still appears, which permitted me to read most of the notes, but if these
were too long, I could use alt-v, f and land on that note which I could read
in its entirety. By toggling the same command, I was back on my reading
document. This is no longer feasible. I have jaws set to read the entire
note, which it does orally, but I really want to follow it in Braille, since
these include a lot of bibliographical data in various languages, (I have
installed six vocaliser voices), and Mr. jaws does not always get the
language right. I mentioned this problem of mine to another list I
participate, and a fellow member sent a reply, which unfortunately, did not
work, and which I will paste at the end of this message.

Now, I must say that when I type alt-contrl-f to get to a footnote, jaws is
crushing which means I can only type blindly, as no Braille appears either,
and I have to restore it with the known shortcut alt-f-j. It lands on jaws
menus and by escape I am back on desktop and I need to alt-tab to get to the
note. At that time I can see the note's text with highlighting, but arrowing
to the right will not automatically do something, unless I do a contr-home
for the beginning of document, and a contrl-end to get back to where I was,
in which case it may eventually work. I am pasting the kind reply I got
which proved vain, so, if anyone has had a similar problem or knows for a
better solution, I would be most grateful to hear from you.

                                                K             indest
Regards,

                                                Takis

Hi Takis,

I've got Word 2016 and Windows 7 so I don't know if the following will help
at all, but it gives you some things you can try!

The way footnotes appear depend on which view I use. In Print view I can
press Alt + Ctrl + F to start a footnote. From within the footnote, I can
press the applications key or Shift + F10 and choose Go To Footnote to
return to the document text. The footnote pane appears at the bottom of each
page, and JAWS indicates this when I read with DownArrow or Say All,
although in neither case does it actually read the footnotes unless I
navigate by word while focus is in the footnote pane.

In Draft view I press Alt + Ctrl + F to start a footnote, as before, but
then I use F6 to return to the document text. Once there is at least one
footnote, I can press Shift + F6 to move to the footnote pane at any time,
and F6 to return to the document.

JAWS should announce which view is in effect. I can press Alt + Ctrl + P to
force print view, and Alt + Ctrl + N to force Draft view, which used to be
called Normal view.

Does that get you any further?

Steve