From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 3:47 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Windows 10 question

Hi,
Ever since Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10240) hit the air in July 2015
(or shortly before), I did tell people why supporting Edge early is crucial:
some universal apps will use Edge rendering engine to display web content,
including (as some found out the hard way) Windows Store. Sometimes it is
best to wait for things to settle, but there are times when at least some
kind of a foundation should be laid to provide support for a technology
later. I and others had a heated debate on a Windows 10 forum in July this
year regarding this matter, with the question of who is to blame the most
taking the center stage. In the end, both MS and VFO are to blame:
Microsoft, for not communicating clearly as to how screen readers could
achieve what they want, and VFO, for insisting for stability. I've been
preaching this for the last two to three years and will continue to say the
following as long as Windows 10 ecosystem lives: in Windows 10 ecosystem,
praying for stability will get us NOWHERE.
In regards to Edge and JAWS, there is a showstopper bug I'm following: as of
latest preview build for Fall Creators Update, no screen reader (including
Narrator itself) will announce notifications, partly caused by under the
hood API changes that might be responsible for suppressing a UIA event from
firing. If JAWS is supposed to rely on this, then this will create a
situation where Edge support is there but important bits won't work right
away.
Cheers,
joseph