Hi.

As Eric said, you can keep both without issue. What happens here is that, when you upgrade to a new major version, in stead of doing an in place upgrade, it makes a whole new folder and installs a separate copy just of the new version. This allows you to, as you noticed, have multiple copies of major versions. The advantage here is that issues with one that make it difficult or impossible to do something you need, if your other version or versions were ok with doing that, you should be able to shut down the current version and manually run the other version to have all of its capabilities and, in the case of falling back to 18 from 2018, be rid of any bugs that may have been introduced in the 2018 cycle and not yet fixed.

If you need to switch to the old version, here's the steps

1. Shut down the existing version of JAWS using insert+f4, then pressing enter.

2. Hold your windows key, and press r then release both. This is the shortcut for the run dialogue. It's an edit box where you can type the path of a file you want to execute, it's handy in some situations, such as this. Go ahead and hit windows+r while JAWS is still running if you want to find out what the run dialogue looks like.

Tip: If you want to make sure you know how to type jaws18 etc, try it with JAWS already running. If you specify 18 while running 2018 currently, it'll just open the jaws window or the jaws system tray menu (if running from tray), even if you specify a different, but valid, version than what is currently running.

3. After hitting Windows+r, wait for a few seconds to ensure it has popped up then type one of the following in the run box

jaws17

jaws18

jaws2018

depending on which version of JAWS you want to start. If you hear a sound, you either didn't get focused in the right place or you typed it wrong. If you end up stuck with no screen reader, press ctrl+windows+enter to start narator. If you're on an older version of windows you might need to just use windows+enter or windows+u, if you use windows+u you'll need to tab around to the read text on screen aloud using narator and press space to check it in order to actually start narator. Once Narator is running you can start JAWS using the JAWS shortcuts on your desktop - should have one for every version of JAWS that is installed.

Lastly, if, when, you do uninstall versions of JAWS you no longer need, select the freedom scientific jaws (version number) in the manage apps screen, or  programs and features. Making sure it is a JAWS you're uninstalling not one of the other freedom scientific products like synthesizer or talking install, etc. During the uninstallation you'll be asked do you want to remove shared components. Choose no, don't remove shared components. This is the answer to your question about how to uninstall one without uninstalling parts of both of them.

Until jaws 2018 is released and is stable to your satisfaction, I highly recommend keeping your JAWS 18, and, for the record, I personally do keepone previous version installed than that which is the latest I have installed. This is in case I find a bug even in the release version that works ok in the previous version, or if I change a setting or break the latest one and I can just switch to another version quickly and decide to beat on the new, broken, version to try and fix it later on when I'm done with what ever it is I'm doing.

Good luck with your shiny new Shark!

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We
make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com";

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>