In 64-bit Windows versions you can only use console applications compiled
in 32 or 64-bit, but not 16-bit or MS-DOS ones. For actual MS-DOS apps you
need emulators like Dosbox or Aeon, but since at least I never got those
emulators to present a text output instead of a graphical one, I try to use
a machine with a 32-bit Windows when I need something in 16-bit. Other
alternative is to use a virtual machine with a 32-bit operating system like
Windows XP or any NT-based or, even better, Windows 9x whose MS-DOS is
complete and not a subset like the CMD of Windows NT based versions, that
is, all Windows versions for consummers after Windows ME.