Thank you for correcting my lingo.  I did mean heading, and I am going to
keep these instructions.  Thank you very much.

Judy

-----Original Message-----
From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Brian Lee
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2018 9:42 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Making the first sentence in a paragraph a header?

Hello Judy,

If you actually mean a header then the following doesn't apply.  I am
thinking you likely mean that you want to make the first sentence of a
paragraph a heading.  The following applies in Word:

You can select a sentence by pressing function key 8 three times.  If using
a mouse in Word you can hold down CTRL and do a single left click on a word
to select the entire sentence.  You can use a Word built-in heading style or
one you have created.  To use heading 1 style use Alt with CTRL and 1.  This
makes the selection a heading 1 style having a 16-point size of the Calibri
Lite font and the font color is blue.

If you use CTRL with Alt and 2 you get a heading 2 style, which is the same
font and font color but the size is 13 point.  Using CTRL with Alt and 3
will use a heading 3 style, which is the same font but size 12 point.

If by chance you mean you want the first line of a paragraph to be a heading
then just select the line by moving focus on to it and using shift key with
down arrow to select it.  You can then use shortcut keys for the appropriate
heading.

There are of course many styles to choose from but the first three levels of
headings are quite often used in Word documents.

If you actually mean you want to create a header where text goes above the
document in the empty white space of the top margin then of course steps are
different.

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianl...@charter.net