From: <john_just...@verizon.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 07:16
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] JAWS freezing when switching between programs

Hello Mike,
John Justice, here.
I work for the state and use configurations which are similar to the ones
you describe.

In the interest of correcting the problem, I brought it to the attention of
our upper level Access group.  Their explanation doesn't solve any issues
but it might give you food for thought.

 1. THE ISSUE AT HAND:  apparently, what we are experiencing is the
assignment of RAM.  Current versions of Jaws tend to utilize a considerable
amount of RAM, especially when changing from one software environment to
another.  The result is that the system has to {wait} for enough RAM  to
perform the function.
2. PROGRAM PRIORITY ASSIGNMENT:  It is possible to assign certain programs
on a PC so that they have a priority when RAM is distributed. This is way
beyond my pay grade Mike but apparently, within reason, certain programs can
be allowed to operate at the expense of others, at least temporarily. There
are exceptions to this rule and certain pieces of software are assigned a
permanent top priority.  I imagine that the Windows operating system might
have that kind of assignment.
3.  According to our A. T. department, reassignment involves the division of
RAM  into smaller compartments which then handle this function.  The entire
process scares the heck out of me.  It isn't something I'd want to attempt.
There might be someone on our list with more technological knowledge than I
have.
4.  A WORKING SOLUTION:  I am now operating two computers simultaneously.
One is dedicated to some of the functions I need while the second unit
handles primary functions.  For example, I use the secondary unit to load
and display Excel spreadsheets.  But even with that arrangement, certain
pieces of software will temporarily shut down Jaws until they are fully
loaded.  The down time has been measured  and it is usually approximately32
seconds.
5.  CREATING HOTKEYS FOR RELOADING JAWS:  Finally, we have established
hotkeys which can be used to encourage Jaws to restart.  Occasionally,
though rarely, Jaws wil not restart after one of these incidents.  We use
three key combinations which are dedicated to reactivating Jaws.

The entire thing is frustrating to say the least, Mike.  But it's something
we just put up with since jaws performs so well in most other respects.

JOHN AND LINDA JUSTICE
WITH GUIDE DOGS EDWIN AND CALYPSOE
PERSONAL E-MAIL: john_just...@verizon.net