Well, this might depend somewhat on your View settings, but one important key is F6. In some mail programs (e.g., Windows Mail) you use the tab key to toggle between folder view and list view. With Thunderbird, you use the F6 key for this purpose.

In the View menu, you might prefer the Classic Layout. Also in the Layout option of the View menu, you will probably want to have the Folder pane checked.

If you have multiple accounts, you might like to switch the Folder view to the Universal view. This will combine the Inbox, Sent items, Deleted items and Junk items for all of your accounts in a single folder respectively. This is probably my favorite feature of Thunderbird, since I monitor several email accounts.

Hope this helps.

Jeff