From: JAWS-Users-List <jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com> On Behalf Of
JM Casey
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 12:01 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] reading pdf's in Edge?

I use Windows 10 and JAWS 18. JAWS OCR was apparently quite improved in
version 2018, and maybe to the  point now where it is more accurate/better,
but even the JAWS training materials stated until recently that you couldn't
use this function for reliable, high-quality oCR of scanned images. I do use
Adobe Acrobat on this machine; it's an old version and really crashy, but I
like it because it either has built in oCR functionality or interfaces with
Windows 10's OCR feature (I still am not sure which, honestly), and it can
convert to a variety of formats. I haven't yet had any reason to open a PDF
(or anything else really) in Edge, but Firefox will do this, in a pinch. I
still prefer Adobe for this purpose, though. And the newer versions of
Reader at least are less crashy and play nicer with screen-readers, though I
still have issues with Adobe and their formats.