Hi Andy,

A long time ago it was necessary to uncheck this item in order to force
Firefox to don't use Direct3D even on Windows Vista and newer, which
prevented to use JAWS cursor. It was not related to JAWS Virtual PC Cursor
support.
Problems with Firefox 57 and newer with JAWS are not related to hardware
acceleration, but to the fact by default Firefox 57 and newer use a
different process for each tab, and unlike Chrome the infrastructure for
transferring content of different processes to asistive technologies is not
as accurate.

Regarding hardware acceleration, it unloads a bit the CPU by processing
media content like videos and games in the GPU (the graphics card or video
adapter) instead of the CPU or processor. This is especially convenient on
slow CPUs like the ones of low end netbook computers or some older ones,
but perhaps more power consumming and not as useful on more powerful CPUs.
Anyway, I always prefer to turn this on in order to leave CPU free for most
other programs which don't specifically support GPU processing.

Hope it helps!