An excellent tip, David.  Thank you very much.

John Justice
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Griffith" <d.griff...@btinternet.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:35 PM
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Using FS Reader to read mp3 Audio Books

Dear list

I offer this tip.
Experimenting with the full version of FSReader that comes with Jaws 11  I
have found that it is very good at reading mp3 audio books.  In particular
the capacity to increase reading rate with control page up  is better than
any other software that I have come across for this feature.  Unlike other
solutions for accelerating playback the distortion level is low. It seems a
bit like having the Victor Reader Stream reading capacity on your PC.

As I understand it, even if you download and install only the demo version
of Jaws 11 you will get the full version of FSReader.

Of course FSReader will not normally read mp3 audio books as it looks only
for daisy content.
However I have found an easy way to convert a folder of mp3 files  into a
Daisy book that FSReader will open and read.

The first step is to copy the folder of mp3 files you want to convert into
an easy place to find on your PC. I copied a book onto  my C drive and
renamed the folder daisy.

Now download the free Daisy book  Generator  from

http://jaapvanlelieveld.xs4all.nl/daisy.htm

Install the Daisy Book Generator and run the program from your programs
menu.

The program is a very simple command line program. There are no menus or
buttons.
Simply type in the path of the folder you want to become a Daisy  Book and
then press enter.
In my case this is  C:\daisy
It seems impossible to copy and paste a long path into the program which is
why I suggest you copy the folder you want to convert into an easy to type
location.
Press enter if you get any warning messages from the program about the
filenames you have in your folder.

The program will then start converting your folder of mp3 files into a daisy
book.
The program will prompt you when this is completed and then pressing enter
again will close the program.

Now you will find that FS Reader will recognise this folder as a daisy book
and play the contents.

Regards

David Griffith

database 4637 (20091125) __________