Hi.
The JAWS installer loads a temporary (runtime) version of JAWS. It will use default settings. So this is why your speech was slow and in my case changed the language from British to American English. So don't panic; this is normal. Just use the uninstall menu item like you did. You will be asked if you wish to remove your user settings. This only affects what you are uninstalling; no other user settings will be affected.
Hope this helps.