From: "Doris and Chris" <chipmu...@gmx.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Latest Abbyy FineReader and jaws

I have been using Finereader since its version 3.0 at about
the time
I lost my sight. The interface has changed several times
over the
years. FR has always been accessible and usable by the
blind, much
more so than, say, Omnipgage. Over here in Europe, it is
_the_ocr
program used by the blind and, when the client is eligible,
often
included in a reading solution package financed by the
health
insurance or other organization.

I have only had a go at a demo of FR 11 as we usually get FR
at a
much reduced price when the next version is released.
however, FR 11
is certainly usable and its recognition is, as always, very
very good.

FR's interface underwent a major change between its version
8 and 9.
It is still accessible and still usable but just quite
different.
Whether you will be comfortable with it or not, depends
largely on
how you use FR and what you do or do not consider accessible
and what
your needs are. FR's reconition has always been amazingly
accurate  and it has recongized just about anything I've
slapped on
my scanner including poor quality print paperbooks yellow
with age,
typewriter pages or even mimeographed publications of a few
decades
ago. FR never failed me and never took even a fraction of
the time I
spent with some ocr packages specifically for the blind that
I worked
with. When the fine engine of a particular FR version was
used with
OB or K1K, I always found without fail that recognition in
FR itself
with the same version of its fine engine was better and much
more painless.

The setup I have yere is that I scan my books and everyday
correspondence, forms, or documents my husband and I need
electronic
copies of wiht FR 7, which I still prefer for its interface
and ease
of use (due to  my being very very familiar with it and my
preference
for working in FR's internal editor.) If I need to recognize
a pdf
document, maybe even a bilingual one, or a poor quality
document, i
use FR 10 on it because its reconition accuracy has improved
dramatically since its version 7 or 8. Even on some of the
bilingual
texts that I ran thru fr 10, the accuracy was amazing even
though I
had just hset it to automatic language reconition.

If you are a longtime user of Finerader, you know that you
can
download  a free demo copy of it from Abbyy's homepage. I
would
defiinitley advise you to do this. Also, you can keep your
trusted
old FR 8 on the same system  as they install to different
folders.
You just need to keep the batches each saves separately as
FR's
batches are not backward compatible.

Finally, depending on what country you live in, you might be
able to
get the previous version of FR at a much much reduced price.
I do not
quite remember the price of the latest version of FR at the
time. I
think it may be around 200 Euros, which is roughly about
US$300. The
previous version may be availablefor as little as 1/4 of the
price of
the current version or even a little less. Unless you
specifically
need a feature that comes with the latest version, you are
probalby
going to be just fine with the previous one, especially in
light of
the fact that the latest version of k1k or ob usually use
the fine
engine of the previous version  of the current retail
version of fr itself.

I hope this was a little helpful and that you will find the
version
of FR that works best for you and is the right size for your
wallet.
And if FR 8 does all you need it to do - and it might well
do that -
just remember "if it ain't broke ..." *g*

hth

Doris