If you get a 64 bit and can afford 6 gigs go for 6 gigs not the minimal 4. You won't regret it when using the audio stuff while having the transcription and the word files and everything else going on at the same time. I have a laptop with 6 gigs and a laptop with 4 gigs and both running top notch Ram and both running outstanding video cards but I still find that when I can afford it I want to update the secondary laptop to six gigs one of these days.

-----Original Message----- From: Kimberly thurman
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:09 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Using JAWS and buying a new computer

Hi everyone:

I'm starting a new medical transcription job and finding myself in need of a new computer. I will be running a transcription platform, which handles downloading and playing of audio plus the word processing part of transcription of that same audio. The minimum requirements are for a core 2 duo processor with 3 gigs of ram 32 bit, or 4 gigs with 64 bit. I realize running jaws ups these requirements somewhat if I don't want to have lags and sluggishness.

Can I get any suggestions for just how much processor speed and ram I should spring for? Should I just go all out and get as much power and memory as I can afford? Is anybody using JAWS with a solid state drive, and what's the performance there like? Any configurations I should avoid? Should I go desktop or laptop?

I have JAWS 13 and will be using the Windows 7 home version.

Thanks in advance and thanks for having me on the list.

Kim