I have also noticed this edit box issue. It is not limited to google though. Every now and then, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, I start typing into an edit box, and the characters just don't appear. I am typing from the qwerty keyboard. Often, exiting IE and starting again works. Occasionally, I just hit enter on the submit button, then try again, and that often does work. I haven't been able to consistently reproduce this behavior. It happens on a Windows XP box running JFW 12 and IE 8 and on a Windows 7 box running JFW 13 and IE9.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi