I'm wondering if the format that the item your cutting is in, is triggering
something in transition to (I think you said) excel when you paste it.

two maybe's here:
1. you can look at your control panel, (and wherever regional settings
are)and see if there might be a layout that would make a difference, mine is
all in American English and I haven't run into this on win 7, I think I did
a long time back in win ME and there were two factors one being this, how my
numeric's were set to display and item 2 below.

2. you might try setting the numeric data value of the column your pasting
into to dollars (or pounds sterling in your case I think) so that it knows
that even if it looks funky its money not distances or formula's.

control key and space bar
then apps key and f for format cells, (alternative is control key and the 1
on the numbers row)
and then select a category, sometimes just locking it as text in here can
make things work better.

and yes, I did see where you said it was mis copying it in jaws, this is why
I put the regional settings notes first, smile.

really do hope this helps,
inthane