My thunderbird opens at the first In Box position. Tab once and you should get to the box itself, with the number of unread messages listed. Tab once again to get to the In Box List. Default arrangement is last first, but you can change if you wish. /Can use cntrl + O to open or simply click. Wait a few seconds and the message should read. Default is messages appear in HTML.