Semantics. In Word and Excel, there are the more general top line ribbons and the more specific bottom line ribbons. The top line ribbon has a home position, helpful to navigating.

The bottom ribbon (which I called a line) has sub parts, which the JAWS virtual ribbon feature makes look like the sub menus on the top line menu familiar to most of us. The whole point of the JAWS virtual ribbon menu is to create the appearance of the top line menu/sub menu combination.

All of this said, navigating ribbons is a bit like navigating a ship at night by sight using sunglasses.

Cheers.