Hello Anna,

If you have specific languages that you normally use to translate from and
to you should set those as defaults.  Otherwise, you can choose the from and
to languages in the research pane.  To set your translation language options
go under the review tab of the ribbon to the language choice and then use
down arrow until you get to the Choose Translation Language item and press
enter key.  If using the Word ribbon use Alt followed by R followed by L
followed by L.  The first box is for the mini translator but the next couple
boxes will set the default to and from languages to be used in the research
pane.  Use the OK button after making choices.

Translating the text

1.       Select the text you want translated.

2.       Press the application key, use down arrow to the Translate choice
and press enter key.

3.       Use F6 until you are in the Research pane.

4.       Use tab key repeatedly until you reach the MicrosoftR translate
button and then tab once more.  You can use the JAWS cursor to read the
translated information but if you use down arrow key a drop-down menu will
appear.  If you press enter key on the Insert button the translated text
replaces the selected text.  However, if you continue pressing down arrow
key you will find a Copy button.  Pressing enter key on the Copy button
copies the translated text to the clipboard and you can paste it anywhere
and retain the original text.  You can close the research pane by using
CTRL+Spacebar and choosing Close from the menu.

The mini translator shows a translation when the mouse is pointed at a word.
Like other mini toolbars it fades away and I am not sure how to have JAWS
read it.  I think you will find using the research pane more efficient.

Take care.

Brian Lee

brianl...@charter.net