You will be notified when new mail arrives according to your choice(s) as market at tools:options:general. I have selected all three, and respond most to a sound. I can look in the mailbox tree view to find the number of unread messages. Do I know that the mail server is free of messages? No. But I can alays check for mail at the file menu (AltF,W,A.