Hello Bill,

I think you are confusing headers and headings.  The Alt N H key sequence is
for a header, which appears in the top margin of pages.  A heading in Word
is a built-in style.  A style contains a specific font, font size, font
color, character spacing and other specific attributes.  You can insert the
heading 1 style by using Alt+CTRL+1.  Insert heading 2 style by using
Alt+CTRL+2, and insert heading 3 style by using Alt+CTRL+3.  You can check
what attributes are used by the heading by using JAWS key with f when focus
is on a line using that style.  You can insert other styles by using
CTRL+Shift+s, which will present a list of styles.  Once in the list of
styles you can use up or down arrow keys to pick a style and press enter on
it or you can for example press t, use down arrow key one time to get the
title style, and then press enter key.

Generally, when you use a keystroke to use a heading and type the heading
information, the enter key will return you to the normal style.  If you want
the style to continue on subsequent lines then use Shift+Enter at the end of
lines instead of just the enter key.  The style will continue on a
subsequent line if the text wraps to that line on its own and you don't use
the enter key.  Also, you can select a line of text and then use the
keystroke for the heading level you want used and that style will apply to
your selected text.

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianl...@charter.net