Thunderbird's current version is 31.1.2. You can go to tools:options and select the updating pprotocol you want . Are you emptying trash, too. AltF and Y empties the trash from the email address you are in when you do it. You have an archives file by default if you select it under tools:account options. Archives has a sub folder for each calendar year. Create new folders from the top line menu AltF, n and select folder. Be sure you are in theplace where you want you folder to go (like in your main account). Once the folder is created you can transfer folders to it.