Unfortunately no the f 8 key doesn't speak closing the message preview pane.
When the message preview pane is closed, the folders are in a row as are the messages. You can then tab between folders and messages, and use the arrow keys to move from folder to folder or message to message.
Press enter to open a message and escape to close it.

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
luc...@ct.metrocast.net

Blaise Pascal