Hi RHS,

Below are some settings notes I've saved in case I needed to upgrade to
Office / Word 2013, maybe they'll help your situation:

From: Jim Fettgather
There are, in my opinion,  a couple of important changes to make in the
options section of Office 2013 to have it be more screen reader friendly.

To go there, after starting the program, to get to options, press Alt F,
then T.

You will be presented with options through which you can down arrow, the
first one is general.

I would uncheck the following two options:

Open e-mail attachments and other uneditable files in reading view
Show the Start screen when this application starts

These are checked by default, and can cause real problems.
For example, if you show the start screen, you will be presented with a
variety of templates, rather than a blank document.
Next, in the Save Section,

I would uncheck the following two choices:
Don't show the Backstage when opening or saving files
Save to Computer by default

These are both checked by default, Word wants to save your files to your one
drive account, but it makes more sense to me to have files saved in the
documents
folder.

These are personal preferences, but I have sure found that implementing them
makes Word a lot easier to use.
Hope that helps.
Jim

From: Jean Menzies via Jfw
Just thought I'd share this for those who want to try it.

The symptom. I've often found sluggish performance in Word when searching,
or when opening a second document. Jaws seems to either not be able to read
a screen without refreshing, or, in searching, it would sometimes take two
tries to get to the results. Just plain sluggish.

In going through settings, I came across an option to "Disable Hardware
Graphics Acceleration". I checked that and things seem to be much more
responsive
now. I'll see how the day goes. But if anyone wants to do this, go into
Options, Advanced, and the item is in there.  If you use the, Alt + G
keystroke,
you'll get to it much quicker.  From what I read on Google, if you change it
in one MS program, it should affect all of them. Hey, I don't need graphics
anyway. haha.
Hope this works.
Jean
Note From Mike B.: My settings wouldn't stick until I checked the, prompt to
update style, checkbox.  To get to this checkbox the keystroke is, Alt + Y.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-hardware-graphics-acceleration-office-2013

article region start
Turn off Hardware Graphics Acceleration in Office 2013

Microsoft Office 2013 is great software for Windows 8 and I am guessing that
quite a few of you may be using it on your system. This productivity suite
contains many technologies in-built inside it and sometimes due to them an
average computer has to suffer. If your facing this issues like crashing of
Office components or not running properly and freezing every now and then or
if they only works in Safe Mode of Office, then technology named Hardware
Graphics Acceleration may be the culprit behind this.

 Turn off Hardware Graphics Acceleration in Office 2013

I found that many users having issues with working of Office 2013 on your
system are often advised to disable hardware graphics acceleration. Almost
in
all of the cases, disabling the hardware acceleration for graphics does the
trick and solves issues for many. In this article, I'll show you how to
disable
hardware acceleration of graphics using the UI and of course, using my
favorite Registry Editor.

Turn off Hardware Graphics Acceleration in Office 2013

Using UI

1. Open any Office 2013 component for example Word, and create a blank
document, click FILE.

How To Disable Hardware Acceleration In Office 2013 Turn off Hardware
Graphics Acceleration in Office 2013

2. Next, click Options in the following screen:

How To Disable Hardware Acceleration In Office 2013 1 Turn off Hardware
Graphics Acceleration in Office 2013

3. Moving on, in the below shown window, select Advanced in the left pane.
Then in the right pane, scroll down and look Disable hardware graphics
acceleration
under the section Display. Check this option and click OK.

How To Disable Hardware Acceleration In Office 2013 3 Turn off Hardware
Graphics Acceleration in Office 2013

You may now close Office (Word) 2013 and reboot the machine. After
restarting the system, you'll find the issues you were facing in Office is
resolved now.

Using Registry Editor

1. Press Windows Key + R combination, type put regedit in Run dialog box and
hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.

 Turn off Hardware Graphics Acceleration in Office 2013

2. In the left pane, navigate here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common

How To Disable Hardware Acceleration In Office 2013 4 Turn off Hardware
Graphics Acceleration in Office 2013

3. Firstly create a subkey to Common by right click over it and select
New -> Key. Name this subkey as Graphics. In the right pane of Graphics
subkey, create
a new DWORD by right click on blank space and select New -> DWORD Value.
Name the newly created DWORD as DisableHardwareAcceleration and double click
on
it to get this:

How To Disable Hardware Acceleration In Office 2013 5 Turn off Hardware
Graphics Acceleration in Office 2013

4. In the above shown box, change the Value data from 0 to 1. Click OK.
Close the Registry Editor and reboot the machine to make changes effective.

Let u know if dong this, helped you make Office run properly.

Check out these posts too:

list of 2 items
. Disable Hardware Acceleration in Windows 8 completely
. Disable Internet Explorer Hardware Acceleration.
list end

4
Posted by
KapilArya@TWC
on September 8, 2014 , in Category
Office
 with Tags
Office 2013,
Tips
An Electrical Engineer by profession, Kapil is a Microsoft MVP in Windows -
Consumer and a Microsoft Content Creator. He recommends that you create a
system
restore point first before tweaking the registry.

Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool.