David,
I would also recommend that you go into the Windows update settings and uncheck the box that says "give me recommended updates the same way that I receive important updates". This will prevent KB3035583 from automatically being installed. I am not pleased that Microsoft decided to push out this "marketing" patch, with out the computer user being required to accept the patch. I have had numerous calls from clients over the past week, in a panic about the icon that has appeared in the system tray. All of them have avoided Windows 8/8.1 and they were in a panic that they were being updated to Windows 10. Everything has consequences and Microsoft did not think this marketing move through. This little move is already tainting what might end up being a really good OS.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ferrin" <ow...@jaws-users.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2015 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] the get windows 10 prompt and C P U usage

After removing the get windows 10 prompt from his system tray the CPU usage
has dropped back down to normal.

Trust me this system has nothing extra to spare at all.

In case anybody is interested for your reading and relaxing pleasure he says
in jest:

Removing KB3035583
To remove KB3035583, first open Windows Update and click "Installed Updates"
in the bottom-left

corner.
To quickly find KB3035583, you can sort by name. Once you've located it,
right-click and choose

"Uninstall".
When you select to uninstall this update, you'll be asked to confirm and
then you will need to

restart your computer.
Once your computer restarts, the "GWX.exe" and its associated "GWXUX.exe"
applications will be

removed and the system tray icon and resulting dialog will go away
permanently.
If the Icon Returns
Some readers have noted that KB3035583 returns if you don't hide it. If you
have Windows updates

set to download and install automatically, this means that if you uninstall
this update, it will

be reinstalled automatically a few days later.
To hide the KB3035583 update and prevent it from being reinstalled,
right-click on it in the

Windows Update application and select "Hide update".
After, the update's selection box will be grayed out and cannot be checked.
From hereon, the

update will be hidden whenever you reopen Windows Update unless you decide
to restore it.
Icon Still Won't Go Away?
There's also a registry hack that you can use to prevent the icon from
showing up.
Open up regedit.exe using the Start search or by hitting WIN + R and pasting
it into the field.

Then browse down to the following key, creating it if it doesn't exist:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx
Once you are there, create a new 32-bit DWORD value on the right-hand side
named DisableGwx, and

give it a value of 1.

David Ferrin
A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from
a simpler system that worked perfectly.
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Ferrin" <ow...@jaws-users.com>