Thanks for this very clear explanation. Alleluia. Neil

-----Original Message-----
From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of valiant8086
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2015 10:19 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] JAWS Smart Navigation: How much do you understand?

Hi.
If you don't use smart navigation, everything behaves as before. Say word,
Say Character are not quick navigation keys, but those two are the ones
affected by smart navigation, when smart navigation is in affect, these keys
require two quick presses to allow you to navigate the text character by
character or word by word. This is because the arrow keys otherwise navigate
by element, so one press of right arrow for instance might go to a link, or
perhaps a button, you won't be able to use arrow keys to spell the name of
the button for instance if you don't understand what it says unless you do
sayCharacter keystroke twice quickly, thereafter the arrow keys will read
the name of the button character by character as you'd expect.

Remember, smart navigation is off by default anyway, and that only really
affects sayWord and sayCharacter keystrokes. They do recommend however that
you use semi auto forms mode or manual, because navigation quick keys like h
won't work very well if you have smart navigation on, and fully auto forms
mode, because if you arrow onto an edit box it will enable forms mode, then
if you try to use h it'll just type h in the box instead of going to next
heading, and you won't be able to get out of the box with arrow keys I
suspect (not verified) until you hit escape.

Navigation quick keys really are not affected in any way by smart
navigation, but the auto forms mode setting remains with the same 3 options
as in jaws 16. If you leave smart navigation off jaws will behave exactly as
it did in version 16 when it comes to web pages in every way to the best of
my knowledge.

Also, yes, smart navigation will be new to JAWS 17.

Cheers, Aaron Spears, general Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates Developing
"very good audiogames" for the blind community http://valiantGalaxy.com Sent
with Thunderbird 38.2.0 portable On 9/19/2015 5:17 PM, Neil Towery wrote:
>   I changed the subject line to reflect your question concerning how
> much we understand.
>   Doesn't look like the current smart navigation. Did not notice that
> striking certain keys, such as H, would jump from heading  to heading.
>   Looks like we have to do three keystrokes to get the same thing we
> now get with one keystroke.
>   They are talking about doing the keystrokes twice quickly.
>   Where is the option to have it like it is in windows 7?
> Neil

Internet Explorer.

> Smart Navigation offers two modes, Controls, and Controls and Tables.
>
> When set to Controls, most web-based controls, including, but not
> limited to, buttons, links, edit fields, list boxes, tree views, and
> headings, are treated as single units when navigating by character or
> word. Performing a Say Character, Say Word, and Say Line command twice
> quickly while focused on a control will switch to character and word
> Navigation so you can use the traditional navigation by character,
> word, line, sentence, and paragraph to review a control, such as the text
of a button or link, in greater detail.
> Smart Navigation by controls automatically resumes when you press ESC,
> or move to another control using TAB or UP or DOWN ARROW. If you
> encounter a table, you will still use the table reading commands
> (CTRL+ALT+ARROW keys) or the Table layer (INSERT+SPACEBAR, t) to navigate
the table.

> When set to Controls and Tables, navigation is the same as the
> Controls option when not in a table. However, if focused inside of a
> table, the RIGHT and LEFT ARROW keys move between columns while the UP
> and DOWN ARROW keys move between rows. When focused in a cell and it
> contains any controls, such as a heading, or an edit field, pressing
> the Say Character, Say Word, or Say Line commands twice quickly will
> switch to control navigation, and performing these commands again
> twice quickly will switch to character and word navigation. If the
> cell does not contain controls, you can only switch to character and
> word navigation. Pressing ESC or moving focus away from the control or
> table cell will switch back to the prior navigation level, for
> example, pressing ESC while in character and word navigation will return
to Smart Navigation in tables.

> When Smart navigation is active, press ALT+DELETE or INSERT+TAB to
> have JAWS announce the current Smart Navigation level.
>
> Anytime you are using Smart Navigation, either set to Controls or
> Controls and Tables, JAWS will work in Screen Layout. This presents
> pages in the virtual buffer similar to how they appear visually on the
> screen. Toolbar buttons or other lists of controls that are visually
> laid out horizontally on the screen are displayed on one line in the
> virtual document, allowing a single press of the DOWN ARROW to skip
> the entire toolbar instead of having to move from button to button to get
past it.

> For a great example, please try JAWS 17 on a web form such as the Web
> Track sample form on the Surf's Up pages. On this page, you will be
> able to see the power of navigating more efficiently with the DOWN
> ARROW then in previous versions.
>
> New Sound Indication for Links
> As you navigate by line with Smart Navigation active, JAWS plays a
> sound if the current line contains one or more links which would
> generally be displayed on separate lines when you are not in Smart
> Navigation. This sound helps you identify that a link exists and gives
> you a chance to pause to hear about it or use TAB or the ARROW keys to
> move to it. To keep this sound from being too intrusive, it is not
> heard if a line contains a link that is preceded by less than five
> characters. For instance, a bulleted or numbered list that contains a link
directly after the number or bullet.