I recently listened to an archived recording of an event from the Pat Price room on accessibleworld.org presenting Eric Damery (probably misspelled his name, sorry) discussing JAWS 17. he answers a question from the participants that I think answers your question. sorry, I don't remember what he said it was.

On 11/7/2015 5:55 PM, Reed Poynter wrote:
"|" is a single character.  What is "cell".  What is actually on the screen?
If it is a single character that JAWS speaks as "cell", could you put that
single character in the dictionary with "|" as its replacement?

Reed

-----Original Message-----
From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Boston, Jason W
Sent: November-06-15 1:34 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] JFW17, HTML tables, & screen layout

Hello all,
For any  who read tables in html documents, you have noticed the change from
"|" to "cell" being the separator between columns. I contacted FS and they
did this on purpose because some don't like the |. A | has been used for
this purpose since the feature of simple layout VS screen layout was
introduced in Jaws years ago. I've been using it for just as long and my ear
is tuned to | as a separator instead of "cell".

I was told to submit a suggestion to make this a feature change. I have done
so by asking if they can give the user the option of picking the character
used to separate the columns when in screen layout. If anyone else agrees
with me,  please email FS at suggesti...@freedomscientific.com

In the meantime, does anyone know how to maybe alter the scripts to do this
without waiting on FS?

Thanks,
Jason
The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the
message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message
in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please
be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving
and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.