OpenOffice isn't seeing much development, but its more popular offshoot,
LibreOffice, certainly is. http://www.libreoffice.org/

I haven't used it under Microsoft Windows, however. It's reasonably accessible
under Linux, but that won't help you if you're primarily a Windows/JAWS user.

As I remember, the LibreOffice developers integrated work from IBM that
removed the dependency on Java for accessibility under MS-Windows. I would
suggest that you download the latest version of LibreOffice and try it.