Hello and welcome to the JAWS Users list. This list has been created for The
purpose of discussing all aspects of the JAWS for Windows screen reader
Program.

So everything that pertains to JAWS is fair game. Such as asking about what
software packages work well with JAWS or how to make them work even better
with scripts, keyboard short cuts and so forth. Another example could be
requesting information on how to do something in Microsoft Word, which as we
all know works very well with JAWS, but you need to know how to do a certain
task or want to learn a way to accomplish it more efficiently.

Now this is a very important point in my opinion, asking the list for exact
instructions every time is not a good thing to do for a major reason. It
creates a dependency situation even if you don't realize it does. The ideal
place I am hoping the list will arrive at some day is that everybody no
matter how new they might happen to be with JAWS or computers will have the
confidence to try things on their own, and yet feel if they get stuck the
list will be there to help put them back on track. Trust me when I say that
help is quicker to arrive for somebody who is well known to ask for it last
than first. So try it yourself first whatever it is. If you get stuck then
let the list know what you've done to try and resolve your current dilemma.
Then I'm sure help will arrive with in short order. Next a post asking if
there is a software package that does a specific task and works well with
JAWS is perfectly fine.

The rules of conduct are quite simple and straightforward. Be polite and
Patient with others. There will be absolutely no fighting, and no bashing of
Freedom Scientific on here at all. If you have a problem with them then take
it up with Freedom Scientific directly.

Please try to keep subject lines relevant and descriptive as possible.

Signatures and tag lines should not be more than a couple of sentences,
three or four at the most. If you wish to include a tag line, don't make
another message of it. Placing anything else in there simply increases the
bandwidth required to handle the posted message and make it more work for a
person who wishes to follow the given thread back to review previous
messages, as they have to plow down past an overly long signature. Also
please place your message above your signature line so as not to force
people to read it before they get to your message.

Also any newsletters except those that directly pertain to JAWS should not
be posted to the list prior to receiving moderator approval.

Attachments are removed before any message is sent to the list. This is done
for your protection. The message list might state that there is an
attachment but in fact Mailman does remove them.

When contacting any of the list moderators privately please be descriptive
in the subject line as to the purpose of the message. Many of us simply
delete messages from people we don't know. At the present time there are
over 650 subscribers to this list, so we can't possibly know everybody on
here.

Also, if you have a question for the list that falls within the guidelines,
then post it accordingly. Don't contact the management team with questions
that are more appropriate for the list itself. Your question may or may not
receive an answer for a number of reasons.

Everybody should familiarize themselves with the content contained in the
footer message that accompanies every message posted to the list.

Occasionally there might be some difficulty with your email address and you
may receive an email from the server asking you to reactivate your account.
Please do not simply delete this message. Instead open it and follow the
directions to reactivate your account. If you do not after receiving a
number of such messages then the server will remove your email address
automatically.

The discussion of anything illegal is absolutely forbidden, along with
flirting or other such inappropriate activities. This is not a high tech
swap shop or anything of that nature at all. This means that goods and or
services will not be bought or sold using this forum. If you know a given
subject is off topic then don't post it. Simply placing off topic in the
subject line does not make it all right. Cross-posting is not permitted, and
members should only post in the following manner:

Using the TO: field with only one list address. The reason for this is that
in cases where people setup their message rules to go by the to: field often
times such rules get fouled up and in effect do not work properly. Also
cross posting might allow you to reach many lists at the same time but the
fact is such a post might not be on topic for each and every list. This
practice does nothing but clutter up such lists with
unwanted off topic messages along with annoying the list moderators.

The SUBJECT: field should be short and to the point without including any
member names.

Please do not reply to a posted question simply to say you don't know the
answer. All that does is create more traffic on an already very busy list
for no reason at all.

Lastly please no jokes, virus warnings, recipes, safety tips, or pleas to
help dying kids, should ever be forwarded to the list.

Forwarded messages and attachments are not permitted. If you have an article
or message of interest which relates to the

Nature of this list send it to the list owner and if it is appropriate, it
will be posted to the list. Additionally if you want to make an announcement
about another list send it to the list owner for consideration. Do not post
it to the list before obtaining approval.

No auto responders are to be used on this list! Those who use auto
responders for vacations and so forth must make sure that this list is not
included. Any person who sends an auto response message will be removed!

My hope is that this list will always be a place where everybody no matter
what their particular skill level can feel safe to ask any question at all
within the guidelines that I have set forth. It is my experience that such
rules of conduct are important to keep good people on the list.

David Ferrin- List Owner