Dear JAWS Users,

In Microsoft Word 2013, the "apply styles" combo box used to complete the name
of the style you entered, and allow navigation through the list of styles by
using up/down arrow keys after typing a partial or complete style name.

Now in Word 2016, typing the initial letters of the name is enough to complete
it automatically, but arrow keys aren't showing me other styles in the list of
available styles. The braille output under JAWS 17 shows the completed style
name after the first few letters are typed, but there's no speech output - a
problem for those working primarily with speech (I'm not such a person, but
I'm noting it for those who are).

Has anyone else been running into problems with the "apply style" pane in Word
2016 - Ctrl+Shift+S?

There's another style pane (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) that at least gives a list of
styles available in the document.

Comments are welcome. After this and another frustration, I'm glad I write my
documents in something other than a word processor. The other problem was as
follows. Suppose you select the first several words as a paragraph, then use
Alt+Ctrl+1 to convert them into an in-line heading; you're effectively
applying the Heading 1 character style. Next, create a table of contents for
the document. According to my Web search, it's supposed to be possible to
exclude certain styles from the headings used to create the table of contents
- in this case the Heading 1 character styles - but I can't find the right
  control under the table of contents options.

In other words, I wanted a plain Heading 1 style to be included in the TOC,
but not the Heading 1 character style. If you know how to do this,
enlightenment is welcome.