Hi Jean,
in the following guide to WLM, there's a main section on Contacts, in this
section there are sub sections on creating, editing, and using categories:

http://vip.chowo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/jaws/Windows-Live-Mail-2011-Guide.html

This is the relevant excerpt from the guide:

Categories

A category is a group of contacts, and any categories which you create
appear in the Folder tree. The top level item is Contacts, and this
contains the category All Contacts, together with any categories which
you create. After each category name there's the number of contacts in
that category, which Jaws incorrectly reads as the number of unread
messages. When a category is selected in the Folder tree, then the
contacts in that category are shown in the Contact list. If either the
top level item Contacts, or the All Contacts category is selected,
then all your contacts are shown in the Contact list.
Creating a new category

   1. On the Home tab, in the New group, press the Category button
(*Ctrl + Shift + G*).
   2. The Create a new category dialog opens, and the first control is
an edit box for the name of the category. Type in a name, and then
press *Enter*to press the default Save button.

Note that you can add contacts to a category and remove them in the
dialog for creating a new category. There's a list of contacts for
doing this, but unfortunately Jaws doesn't read whether or not a
contact is selected. So it's probably easier to do this using the
methods described in the next two sections.
Adding contacts to a category

   1. In the folder tree, select either the Contacts item or a
category other than the one to which you want to add contacts.
   2. Select one or more contacts in the contact list, then on the
context menu, open the Copy Contact To sub menu, and choose a
category.
   3. Note that for some strange reason the Folder tree automatically
becomes the focus, so if you want to add more contacts, you have to
*Tab* back to the Contact list.

Removing contacts from a category

   1. In the folder tree, select the category.
   2. In the contact list, select one or more contacts, open the
context menu, and choose Remove Contact from Category.
   3. Again, for some strange reason, the Folder tree automatically
becomes the focus, so if you want to remove more contacts, you have to
*Tab* back to the Contact list.

Sending messages using categories

In a new message window, you can type in the names categories, just as
you would the names of contacts. When the message is sent, the name of
a category is replaced by all the addresses of the contacts in that
category.

Note that in the context menu of a category in the Folder tree there's
a Send Email command, but it's always unavailable — a Windows Live
Mail bug.

David.