From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Kenny
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2016 5:12 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Jaws issues and more

WOW! Sounds like what my trusting mom experienced a few weeks ago.

Since she didn't have anything installed on the laptop worth keeping I
instructed her on how to factory reset the Dell Laptop (Her situation was a
lot worse than yours.) They were trying to get $75 out of my mom and she
hung up the phone LOL!

Ransomeware is definitely the scourge of the web. You were very very lucky
they didn't encrypt all of your files forcing you to deal with them.

Next time you get one of those persistent alert boxes while surfing a site,
it's best you never click on any button. Try hitting [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Escape]
to bring up the Windows Tasks manager. Locate the name process in the list
of running tasks and  select [End Task] button to close/stop it.

Then disconnect your PC and run a full virus scan. Afterwards, use
Piriform's CCleaner program to stop any leftover malware/ran some modules
from loading at startup (have this installed before hand.)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Also use CCleaner to completely clean all of your browser's cache and
unneeded temp files.

Always reboot your PC after performing any checks. Pay attention to the
System Tray (Area next to the clock) after each restart for any unfamiliar
programs which you didn't install willingly.

If you notice any, bring up the Windows Programs and Features manager and
start uninstalling them.

The faster you are at killing the tasks and disconnecting your PC from the
web, the better your chances are in dealing with the infection rather
easily. The key is never never click on any button to close the alert popup.

My motto is that if they used illegal means to draw me in, then use common
sense not to stay in.

Glad everything worked out for you.