George,

I subscribe to both. Audible books are read by professional narrators and tend
to be high quality. I use Bookshare for text copies of books. For a fluent
braille reader, Bookshare must be wonderful. Unfortunately, I am a slow enough
braille reader that I rely more heavily on narrated books. Of course, I do use
text-to-speech engines, which I think work well for nonfiction. However,
fiction doesn't do as well because a speech program can't always get intonation
right, which you need for dialog and the other tricks of a novelist's trade.

In terms of cost, Bookshare is hands-down cheaper, at $50 a year for an
unlimited subscription. I don't know all the Audible subscription options. Mine
is something like $17.95 a month for which I get one credit, that is, one book
a month. However, audible has sales throughout the year that make book
purchases much cheaper than they seem at first. It might be a list of books at
$4.95 each or another list of books where you get two books for one credit.

I view Audible as a supplement to NLS/BARD. Each service has books that the
other doesn't. also, there are several NLs narrators I just can't stand, and so
Audible gives me options.

IN fact, for me, as a poor braille reader, Bookshare is also a kind of
supplement. If I'm reading a difficult text or if I want to quote from a book
in a piece I'm writing, I'll download the Bookshare version.

Both contribute to a level of access to books that was unimaginable just a few
years ago. When you make your decision, you may need a little assistance
getting set up. Audible's tech service people tend to pick up quickly and are
familiar with accessibility issues. With Bookshare, you'll rely more on email
for assistance. And, if this list's moderators agree, maybe someone here can
help. If need be, I'd be happy to answer questions off-list.