In Microsoft Word's Preferences, there are actually multiple controls the
setting of which determines under what circumstances protected View is
invoked. I remember having to find more than one setting to turn off Protected
View in Microsoft Word 2016.

Start by going to File -> Options, then, in the General category, find "Open
e-mail attachments and other uneditable files in reading view". Make sure this
is not checked.

Next, in the list of option categories, move down to "Trust Center", then
tab across to the "Trust Center Settings" button. Select this button, which will
open a list of categories. In my case, focus is placed on "Macro Settings".
Move down once to "Protected View", then tab across to the checkboxes that let
you turn protected view on or off for various files. For example, I made sure
to turn "Enable protected view for outlook attachments" off. In fact, I turned
them all off.