Torben Jäger wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Just ported our b2b platform from IAS to jBoss it seems that jBoss is
> having some performance problems.
>
> A simple jsp (in embedded tomcat) reading some entities over a finder
> method is real slow (table contains only 30 rows!!). Running this jsp
> with Inprise Application Server you couldn't recognize any action on
> the server.

Is it a CMP bean or a BMP bean? You do realize that accessing entities
directly from a JSP is probably not going to perform well on a variety
of application servers, right?

Also, Tomcat is known to not be the fastest JSP engine out there.

> I am using standard jBoss 2.2 installation with embedded
> tomcat. Database is running on another server (100 Mbit).
>
> Dev-Environment
>
> PIII 600
> 512 MB RAM
> jdk 1.3
> tested on RH7.0 (23 sec) and w2k (9 sec)

Are those times averaged, or first-run. You'll find that JBoss under
hotspot gets quite a bit faster in subsequent runs.

> jdbc-driver: i-net sprinta2000 @ M$-SQL-Server 2000
>

> Having said to my CEOs jBoss is the server to choose, I now have a
> problem to underline this statement when I have to present my work
> next week.
> If I can't fill this lack of performance my boss isn't struggling
> anymore whether to change the appserver or not. So, jBoss will be
> dead. :-(
>
> Why is jBoss so slow in this case? Are any performance improvements
> planned in near future?

I've been looking at performance a bit. This was on haitus while we get
the ECPerf stuff running so that we have real-world(ish) test cases.

-danch