I think this probably makes a lot of sense.  I personally don't like the
Category interface too much, but its usage seems to be gaining lots of
speed.  My guess is that is will probably fall into the shadows once the
JDK logging api is available... but then again, I don't really like there
interface either.

As for the currently available (and fully functional) logging apis that I
have looked at, log4j looks like a solid choice (unless you want to
completely re-write it for a few minor api treats... which is basically
what I ended up doing, but have not had time to fill in all of the
missing peices... I think that I might just modify my api to use log4j
as the underlying engine).

--jason