|I don't think I understand what you are suggesting.  However...
|
|Are you familiar with the lock-free versioning/ optimistic locking scheme
|used in interbase/firebird?
|
|transactions are numbered sequentially when they are started.
|
|Each record (version) includes the transaction id of the last change to it.
|
|When you query information (within a transaction), you get the record
|version with the largest transaction id <= your transaction id.

yes ! this is what I asked for a couple of weeks ago, on a suggestion by
Farid of CPW (Vinay's collegue), versioning the records for long running
transactions and optimistic locking with distributions that have low rw
MAKES TOTAL SENSE.

However we can do it at the container level, not even at the db level

marcf