on 1-06-26 20.36, Schaefer, Andreas at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> To finally bring the JBoss GUI flying let's start
> a project for that ;-)

Yeeay

> My idea of the JBoss GUI would be a dynamic, expandable
> and version aware GUI helping an administrator, deployer
> and Developer dealing with JBoss.

"The idea" is a core JMX design
    - with some standard panes to subclass - unified look ?

This m(b)eans anybody can start building GUI components *today* and deploy
in JBoss as bootstrapping until the separate core is ready ... cool ...

(Mmmm since it is JMX - JSR-77 based -  We could make commercial extensions
for other J2EE players ... ? ... it suggest the core is free in JBoss but
paid to run againts other brands ... serialised key startup thingy ? ...
hmmm ... oki - later ... )

> The basic requirements for the GUI would be:
> - Able to add and remove GUI components on the fly

Dynamic MBean deploy folder ? ...

> - Able to deal with different versions of JBoss
> server components (GUI component must be able to
> tell the GUI with which version it can work and
> the GUI/user can select the right one).
> THIS is not a top priority but should be dicussed
> from the beginning.

cool - We should design it in directly ...
maybe We can use JMX relations for that ? ...

> - Having an intra-component communication where I would
> suppose using JMX for that.

Yes - our own implementation ? - since sun seems to productify it more and
more ...

> - display and administration of JBoss servers by
> using JSR-77 interface.

Where can one find more on JSR-77 ? ...

> - having various wizards to deal with the descriptors,
> deployment etc.

There might be one deployment one already made ! that could eventually *?*
be rewrapped into a MBean ? ... I am refering to the Together deployer
module for JBoss by Mike Swainston-Rainford ...

This is mainly why I suggested Together CE as a framework earlier - but it
is big and go against lean ... and there is a learning curve involved using
tg itself that foogs its immediate function - one could have the core run
inside tg as module if for those who wish to do so ... I know I do ;-)

> By the end of the week I hope that we can create a project
> web site to discuss this openly.

Who is doing the Loggo ? ;-)

> First and top most discussion is what FRAMEWORK we are
> going to use. I heard about Netbeans, plain Swing etc.

plain Swing - why - one primo vendor instead of huge x-tra add on api's

> Your ideas and arguments.

ahhh - yes - a editor pane with fields directed throught ant ? ... ant
integration ? ...

The beauty of all this is that there can be several components that tackle
the same problem in different ways - without conflict - very OpenDoc'ish

> Have fun - Mad Andy

Thanxs
/peter