> There was also a lot of talk last year around "real men don't use pools,
> they use modern VM technology" and while I don't know where that is at these
> days it will simplify the design so much that I am really tempted..
>
> any religious feelings?

You don't mean to get rid of resource pools do you (like connections and
such).  I assume not, that is the only use of pools that I would
suggest, especially with HotSpot (but that is only based on the numberuous
times at JavaOne that the HS folks said not to use pools).

The only other case I would use a pool is for very heavy weight objects.

If it makes life easier drop the pool.  If it is possible to abstract the
creation of that object to a factory, then if pooling would improve
performace it could be re-enabled (perhaps even on the fly).

--jason