It seems like there is a JSR for everything nowadays.  I was a little
frustrated when I found out that there was a logging JSR, which would imply
that one day everyone will be using it by default cause it is a 'javax' or
'java' package and possibly even included in the jdk.

Does that mean it is any good?  Should these bits really come from Sun or be
packaged by sun and come from other vendors, or does it make more sense to
let vendors provide there own API's and let natural selection decide which
API is best for most (or all).

The whole Log4j vs. JSR 47 is a really good example of that.  Though I
happen to like the class namespace of JSR 47 better than Log4j, I think that
Log4j is a richer API (even though it could use a little augmentation to
make it cleaner for a developer to work with, but that is a separate rant).

I am not really keen on being forced into a particular API because it has
become the defacto standard.  In some ways I wish that Java had a less-rich
library and simply provided the basic JVM and language functionality.
Unfortunately due to it's portable nature separating the language from the
library (or rather API) might not be possible.

That said, I think that someone from JBoss should join, unless we are
prepared to *trust* the current members to do the right thing, and thus
giving up any chance to better the world of java instead of letting it
slowly crawl to extinction due to massive corporate inbreeding.

--jason