Hi Marc,

> almost done with the rewrite of the locking mechanisms..

Nice.

> the bug removed is the busywait bug of the previous "leaky-lock" but in
all
> instance what we are looking for is hangs in *particular threads*.  I
really
> don't know how we can automate that.

I'm not sure what you mean with *particular threads*, my only
interpretation is: might it be, that the particular threads
experience deadlock? Or might be, one of the threads blocks on
something (i.e. IO), letting others wait for a long time?

If these scenarios are what you mean, the 'classic' approach comes
into mind: timeout, to break the locks. If in doubt, throw
'possible deadlock' to all participating transactions.

A more sophisticated solution (inside one and the same server)
would be immediate deadlock detection by keeping graphs of
transactions accessing resources and checking them before actually
blocking the next TX. I've no idiom/algorithm available off my
head, but can do research on that by request.

Fallback ever is timeout.

If I'm off topic, please ignore or blame me.

regards
Georg
 ___   ___
| + | |__    Georg Rehfeld      Woltmanstr. 12     20097 Hamburg
|_|_\ |___   [EMAIL PROTECTED]           +49 (40) 23 53 27 10