on 1-09-07 10.31, Rickard Öberg at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> Because it makes servers aware of other servers more easily, and
>>> services aware of other services more easily.
>>
>> JINI is broadcast so is JavaGroups - one is licenced one is open !
>
> Oh please. Jini is also open: you get the code, you can distribute your
> apps, you can distribute the Jini binary, etc.

Then maybe We could buy a copy of JDMK and use SNMP ? ... JDMK also gives
You the code - you can distribute your apps - you can distribute the JDMK
binary ...

> Please read the Jini FAQ or licensing stuff before making these kinds of
> comments.

I read the FAQ ++ - and was impressed by the "copy" - but - since I was then
looking at a way to have "self-discovery" over geo spatial boundaries, I
ditched JINI ... becouse of its bradcast nature ...

> No FUD please.

Exactly ... lets all try understand all that JINI is and is not and if it
then is the API - for what We want to do ...

/peter_f