I know there are many tools out there that do almost what I am going to
describe already, it is an improvement on x-doclet.

I am wondering if the generation step cannot be done at deployment time.  I
think we have the bytecode generation tools stuff that generates compiled
bytecode at runtime.  See the 1.2.2 proxy generation and the implementation
Dain has put of the 2.0 spec CMP stuff.  I will call them "bytecode
injectors".

I would like the developer to just provide the "implementation" class with
"HelloBean", "bean" identifying the implementation.  The code would be

public class HelloBean extends SessionBean {

public String sayHello
{ return "hi";}
}
}

and that is it. We would generate the home and remote with our "code
injectors", if we find overridden methods (ejbActivate) then we would use
that from the class definition itself, if not we provide an empty
implementation.  We put all the public methods in the Remote, minus the
create(...) and find...(...) that need manipulation in the home. Since we
control the classes definition that are loaded in our system we would be
able to plug this one in, the "HelloBean" implemented by us (actually it
could be under a different name since we are on the server side), and the
client sees the generated "Hello" (naming convention we remove the "bean")
and "HelloHome".  This way the client can see the classes with the remote

For more advanced tags like the transactional ones we should incorporate
some x-doclet tags in the code, but these do not result in the xml file
generation and the jar creation rather it all works in JBoss, i.e. the
metadata population is done directly from the code.  In essence we say "fuck
packaging", too complex.

The goal there is really simple, it is to have the developers write the
trivial HelloBean above and BE DONE WITH THE EJB "LEARNING CURVE".

marcf

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Marc Fleury
President