I _thought_ that read-only and timeout were added to implement entities
that were 'read-mostly' - things that might be updated outside of the
EJB container occasionially (like a product catalog, say), while keeping
the caching advantage of commit option A. If I'm remembering this
correctly, this would mean that the timeout would extend accross
transactions - maybe overriding commit option B to some extent?

However, if I am remembering correctly, then the timeout should be more
like 300 seconds than 300 milliseconds.

-danch