OK,

isAuthenticated() is now in. It reauthenticates every time it is called, using a
password cached from the last call to authenticate(). This will have been from the
original request thread.

I haven't pursued the threadlocal issue. I do not explicitly set them up, so I am
assuming someone else is responsible for tidying them up..... Of course, I could be
wrong.... :-)

Jules