Hey,

It would seem the best qualified to answer would be on the jmx-forum list.

However, if you want an opinion, the quickest answer I can contrive is for
application partitioning, especially when assembling an
application/subsystem management view using MBeans from multiple vendors.

One thing to bear in mind is that, ok I know this is going to sound really
obvious, JMX is an api whose intent is to allow you to expose things for
*managment*.

Personally, I think your question stems from the knowledge that JBoss
could not survive without the MBeanServer.  I recently explained to a
colleage my opinion that EJB (and perhaps most of J2EE) is nothing more
than a great big third party binding see
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ThirdPartyBinding

In JBoss the intercomponent bus for the binding is JMX.

That's a far cry from "and here's how your application can be managed by
ZippyConsole version2.0".

Change your frame of reference and perhaps the question will answer
itself.

Regards,
Trev