well I'm not Scott, but I've been working on security for a client.  This
probably belongs on one of the forums but here are a few answers.

Yes the password is sent clear text.
    Yes you can use encryption or ssl to protect yourself.
Yes it is sent every Invocation.
For the rmi, look at the MethodInvocation class for jboss 2.4.x or
Invocation for jboss 3.

On this subject I would like to propose a few things:
For JBoss 2.4.x (I haven't tested on JBoss 3 yet), the logout doesn't do
anything (really).

Scenario:
A client connects, logs in, does a remote invocation, is validated, gets a
return, logs out, exits.  The client again starts up, logs in, does a remote
invocation, OK... here it isn't really validated again it is pulled out of
the cache, no password validation, no new roles if they exist.  Of course
this is because of the cache.  And I want the cache as long as the client is
still logged in under the same "session".  The consequence of this is that
after a person logs in, and until the cache times out, anyone can
impersonate that user all he has to know is the userid. (no special password
required)

I would like to see a token that is sent with the Invocation that is set
when the server actually authenticates a user.  It is returned to the client
and is re-sent every time the client does a remote invocation.  UNTIL... the
client logs out or exits of course.

(doesn't have a token), without the token the server knows to invalidate his
cache and re-authenticate.

Scott, any thoughts?

Ken