On 2002.02.26 00:37:21 -0500 Jason Dillon wrote:
> Seems like a hack.  What if the class never gets loaded?  Does the
> client which wants to use it hang forever?  If not how long do you wait
> for a class to load?

I don't think this is a problem. The client is most likely a thread started
by noticing a new package.  Anyway, I think we need anyway a list of
"waiting deployments" -- partly deployed stuff that is waiting.  Now we
have mbeans that can be waiting for mbeans, with marc's idea we'd have
classes waiting for classes also.  If we can look at the list and say "
there's a problem, kill this guy" or "hmmm, I see I forgot to deploy
package X" I think it will be fine without any timeouts.

Presumably we could do the same for mbean dependencies if each mbean is
configured/started in its own thread -- replace some bookeeping with
waiting on locks.  For mbeans we'd still need the list of dependencies to
know when to shutdown, so it might not be an advantage there.

david jencks