>you can save a lot of loading time if you
>could check to see if the data stored in the
>EntityContext is still in sync with the db row.

Dain, you already answered the reason for Option B.
However, when you said "very little we can reuse", you seems to assume CMP. In our
cases, we use Option B and BMP that uses versioning for optimistic lock.

Surprisedly, in the current implementation of JBoss, our optimistic lock not only gets
nothing, but even hurts the performance (because an extra select must be issued).

Please re-think the priority to support Option B.