could be with 1.3 as well, but definetly with 1.4 on linux.  Some code which I
checked in a tested yesterday under 1.4 magically stopped working today.  I
sometimes get a NPE at log.debug() inside Util.getBoolean():

<snip>

public interface NestedThrowable
   extends Serializable
{

 // ...

   final class Util
   {
      private static final Logger log =
Logger.getLogger(NestedThrowable.class);

      /** A helper to get a boolean property. */
      protected static boolean getBoolean(String name, boolean defaultValue)
      {
         name = NestedThrowable.class.getName() + "." + name;
         String value = System.getProperty(name,
String.valueOf(defaultValue));

         log.debug(name + "=" + value); // NPE here

         return new Boolean(value).booleanValue();
      }

</snip>

If I change log to be non-final and try to init log if it is null, then it
works fine.

Anyone know what is up with this?

--jason